However, it doesn’t mean you now have to take it to a repair shop or get yourself a new computer. Of course, it can become somewhat annoying if you’re not computer-savvy. But don’t worry, here in this post, you will find some simple tips and tweaks that will significantly speed up your PC experience.
How to Increase PC Performance on Windows 10
To increase PC performance on Windows 10, use the following methods –
1] Restart your computer
Restarting a computer is the first thing on the list that we recommend you do to increase the overall experience. This is because when you restart your computer, it stops running all the active programs and clears all the cache data stored in the memory. And this way it increases the computer performance.
To restart your computer, use the following steps:
- 1. Click on the Start button.
- 2. Then select the Power button.
- 3. Select the Restart option.
You need to note that the Sleep and Hibernate button doesn’t stop the running programs.
2] Disable all startup programs
When you start your computer, some programs start automatically and continue running in the background that ends up consuming valuable system resources. And this way it slows down the computer performance. To solve this issue, you just need to disable all such programs at startup using the below steps:
1. Click on Start and select Settings.
2. Select the Apps category.
3. Scroll down and go to the Startup submenu.
4. Click on the Sort by down arrow key and change it to the Startup impact option.
5. Now look up the programs that you don’t want to run in the background, and then turn off the toggle switch. You must close those apps that are identified as having – high impact on the system.
6. Now restart your device.
3] Disable relaunch apps on startup
When you reboot your PC, some Windows applications get started automatically even you don’t sign in. These applications normally help to speed up the process, but they can cause a break in workflow and influence the system performance. In this case, you need to
You can use the following steps to disable the programs that restart at startup:
1. Press the Windows+I keys to open the Settings app.
2. Select the Accounts category.
3. Click on the Sign-in options submenu.
4. Scroll down and go to the Restart apps section, then turn off the toggle switch if it’s turned on.
4] Remove unnecessary apps
When you buy a new computer, you get plenty of unwanted and non-essential applications installed on it. It also consists of some system tools and bloatware that you’ll never use. If you want to increase the performance, you always need to remove these programs from your computer.
You can use the following steps to remove the unnecessary programs on Windows 10:
1. Right-click on Start, and select Apps & Features.
4. Search for the apps you want to remove.
5. Select it and click the Uninstall button.
6. Click the Uninstall button again to confirm and then follow the on-screen instructions to complete removing the app.
7. Similarly, you can remove and uninstall other unnecessary and unwanted apps from your computer.
5] Run Disk Defragmenter utility
If your computer is running slow then you can run the Disk Defragmenter tool to repair the hard disk data and improves the system performance. To run the defragmentation utility, use the following steps –
1. Open the Settings app using Windows + I keys.
2. Open the System menu.
3. Click on the Storage category.
4. Under the “More storage settings” section, click the Optimize Drives link.
5. Now select the drive that requires defragmentation.
6. Click on the Optimize button.
6] Perform a malware scan
Malicious programs are known to take up the system resources and making a device unusable. In this situation, you might want to perform a malware scan using the below steps:
1. Open Settings > Update & Security > Windows Security.
3. Under the Protection areas, click on Virus & threat protection.
4. Now scroll down to the “Virus & threat protection updates” section, click on the Protections updates link.
5. Click on the Check for updates button.
6. From the left pane, click on the Virus & threat protection option.
7. Under the “Current threats” section, click the link states Scan options.
8. Check the Full scan checkbox.
9. Click the Scan now button.
7] Disable search indexing
Next, you can try disabling the search indexing temporarily to increase PC Performance. Here is how to do this:
1. Open Settings app using Windows+I keys.
2. Click on the Search option.
3. From the left pane, select the Searching Windows option.
4. Scroll down to the More Search Indexer Settings section, click the Advanced Search Indexer Settings link.
5. On the next page, click the Modify button.
6. Now click the Show all locations button, available at the bottom of the page.
7. Under Change selected locations, clear all the selected boxes.
8. Now click the OK button.
9. Click the Close button.
After applying the above workarounds, the performance of your computer should be significantly increased.